Are you planning to form a limited liability company (LLC) in Indiana — The Hoosier State?
Then you’ll need to get up to speed on state laws and compliance requirements for local businesses.
In Indiana, all incorporated business structures, LLCs, limited partnerships, corporations, and nonprofits, must appoint a registered agent (also called a statutory agent).
Being a registered agent is a serious responsibility, so you must take this appointment seriously.
To help you decide who should be a registered agent for your LLC, we’ve made a list of well-reviewed commercial registered agent service providers in Indiana.
Want to learn more about forming an LLC in Indiana? Check out these resources first:
Table of contents
- Who can be a registered agent for an LLC in Indiana?
- Indiana registered agent services list
- How do I appoint a registered agent in Indiana?
- How do I change my registered agent in Indiana?
- FAQs about Indiana registered agents
Who can be a registered agent for an LLC in Indiana?
Indiana business law code sets forth precise requirements for registered agents.
Any private person above 18, with a physical street address in the state (a P.O. box won’t do), can serve as a registered agent for an incorporated business.
Additionally, any legal entity authorized to do business in the state can be listed as a registered agent for another business structure.
The role of a registered agent is to act as a point of contact for your Indiana LLC, a corporation, or a nonprofit.
As such, a registered agent agrees to:
- Receive official correspondence such as tax notices, legal documents, letters from the Indiana Secretary of State.
- Accept service of process of legal documents on behalf of an Indiana LLC, a corporation, or a nonprofit.
You’ll need to name your registered agent when filing your company formation documents:
- Articles of Organization for an LLC
- Articles of Incorporation for a corporation
You’ll also need to update that information when filing your biennial report. In Indiana, LLCs don’t file an annual report — they send one every other year.
You may lose good standing with the state if you do not maintain a registered agent for your LLC continuously.
Why use a professional Indiana registered agent service?
As an Indiana resident, you can be your own registered agent. But doing so has some drawbacks:
- You need to do more admin work and personally stay on track of all the critical compliance deadlines or worse — deal with legal inquiries.
- Your business address becomes your registered office address and a public record. If you work from home (or another private location), anyone can look it up and find out where you’re staying.
- You need to be available at your registered office during regular business hours year-round to accept personal service of process. You can’t go on extended weekend getaways, take vacations, or travel abroad.
You can also appoint someone else as your registered agent — a family member, a friend, an employee, etc. But then they will have to deal with all the issues mentioned earlier.
Plus, there’s always the risk of them not taking their registered agent responsibilities seriously.
That’s why many Indiana business owners choose to pay a commercial registered agent service instead.
That way, you benefit from:
- Greater privacy. Your registered agent service provider’s office address is listed with the state.
- Fewer operational chores. The agent will sort through all the incoming mail and forward the necessary documents to you.
- Personal flexibility. You don’t have to be tied to your registered office location and operate from anywhere.
Paying for a registered agent service makes the most sense when you consider all the hassle of being a registered agent yourself!
Indiana registered agent services list
Ready to trust your operational matters to a pro? Awesome! But you still need to find a good fit for your business.
We did some background research for you and made a curated list of commercial registered agent service providers in Indiana with the best customer reviews.
1. Gutwein Law
Gutwein Law is a law firm specializing in business law, employment law, and estate planning.
The firm offers an entity formation package that includes a registered agent service for the first year.
It also provides a corporate representation package including various compliance services, including a registered agent service.
Prices are available on request for both options.
- Address: 250 Main Street, Suite 590 Lafayette, IN 47901
2. Indiana Registered Agent
Indiana Registered Agent offers company incorporation and registered agent services.
If you choose them, the company promises to scan all the incoming business documents on the same day. And then either send you the scans via email or upload them to your online account and notify you.
This provider also keeps you posted on the biennial report due date. This is helpful because failure to file these business entity reports on time might result in your LLC being dissolved.
- Costs: $49/year
- Address: 5534 Saint Joe Road, Fort Wayne, IN, 46835
3. Swyft Filings
Swyft Filings provides LLC formation and business management services in all 50 states, including Indiana.
The company provides clients with access to a secure online app to view scanned documents immediately after they are uploaded.
The app also sends you compliance reminders so you won’t have to worry about missing any important deadlines.
- Costs: Starting at $149/year
- Address: 1000 N West St, Wilmington, DE 19801
IncSmart is another national provider of business services.
Apart from serving as a registered agent, they can provide you with many add-on services — from help with business plans to state tax ID registration and ongoing tax reporting.
The company charges $49/year for its registered agent service, but you can get a 10% discount if you pay for two years in advance or a 20% discount if you pay for three years in advance.
- Costs: $49/year
- Address: Las Vegas, NV. 89084, US
5. Inc Paradise
IncParadise also specializes in business formation and operational services. They support legal entities across 50 states and Washington DC.
The company charges $89/year for its registered agent services. But if you pay for several years in advance, they’ll discount the follow-up years to $40/each.
At $40/year, this is the lowest registered agent service price on this list. So if you’d rather invest some spare funds into growing your small business, this is a good deal.
- Costs: $89 for first-year; $40 for next ones
- Address: 1611 E 2nd St, Casper, WY 82601
6. Registered Agent Service of Indiana
Registered Agent Service of Indiana is a family-run venture specializing in registered agent service for Indiana businesses.
Its no-nonsense value proposition is simple: you pay a flat annual fee – no upsells or costly extras.
You can also directly email the owners if you have any questions. They reply fast!
This is an option worth considering if you want to work with a small registered agent service provider that is based in Indiana.
- Costs: $49/year
- Address: 7705 Londonderry Ct, Muncie, IN 47304
7. Legal Inc
Legal Inc is a nationwide business management services provider that operates a registered agent service in all 50 states.
The company will scan any important documents addressed to your LLC, upload them to its online app, and notify you immediately. You can also pay extra to access a wider range of admin and compliance tools from them.
It offers discounts for clients that need a registered agent for multiple entities, so if that’s what you’re looking for.
- Costs: $149/year
- Address: 10601 Clarence Drive, #250 Frisco, TX 75033
8. Registered Agents Inc
Registered Agents Inc is another nationwide registered agent service provider with a strong reputation.
Unlike some of its competitors, Registered Agent Inc doesn’t forward the documents it receives to a second location to be scanned.
Instead, they do everything at their Indianapolis office — meaning you’ll get a copy of your mail faster.
Registered Agents Inc powers 200+ top registered agent service providers globally. It’s a great choice if you want to work with a company with a solid infrastructure in place.
- Costs: $200/year
- Address: 30 N Gould St STE R, Sheridan, WY 82801
9. Corporate Filings Solutions
Corporate Filings Solutions is another established operator with a presence in all states.
But unlike many big players, they have very affordable fees.
You can get a substantial registered agent service discount if you pay for more than one year in advance.
Prices range from $95/year when you pay for just one year to $55/year ($275 in total) when you pay for five years in advance.
- Costs: $95/year
- Address: 8 The Green Suite C Dover, DE 19901
National registered agent service providers
Need even more options to consider?
Check out these digital registered agent service providers that service Indiana residents:
- Harbor Compliance. Annual costs: $99.
- LegalZoom. Annual costs: $299.
- IncFile. Annual costs: $119 after the first year.
- Northwest registered agent. $125 per year.
How do I appoint a registered agent in Indiana?
To appoint a registered agent for your LLC, you need to add their name and address on the Articles of Organization and have the appointee indicate their consent to appointment by checking the respective box on the form.
Next, submit the form to the Business Services Division of the Indiana Secretary of State either online (via the IN.gov website) or by mail.
How do I change my registered agent in Indiana?
If you decide to add a new registered agent for your LLC or update their details, use the Statement of Change of Registered Agent form. Add the changed information and send the form back to Indiana SOS. There’s no filing fee.
FAQs about Indiana registered agents
Here are the frequently asked questions about registered agent services in Indiana.