Want to form an LLC in Texas?
Then you should keep in mind that Texas Business Organizations Code (“BOC”) requires every local LLC to have a registered agent (statutory agent).
You can appoint yourself as your own registered agent, but make sure you understand the drawbacks.
- You’ll have to stay on top of all the correspondence addressed to your LLC, including service of process of legal documents.
- You’ll have to be available during regular business hours every working day of the year, which means that you won’t be able to leave the state.
- Your business address will become a public record which might compromise your privacy if it’s the same as your home address.
That’s why you might want to consider designating someone else for this job.
Table of contents
- Who can be a registered agent for an LLC in Texas?
- Texas registered agent services list
- How do I appoint a registered agent in Texas?
- How do I change my registered agent in Texas?
- FAQs about Texas registered agents
Who can be a registered agent for an LLC in Texas?
A registered agent is a private person or a business entity that receives legal documents and legal notices on behalf of your limited liability company.
Any private person can be a registered agent for an LLC in Texas provided that they meet these three criteria:
- Are over 18 years old.
- Have a physical street address in Texas (a P.O. box is not enough).
- Can be available during regular business hours every working day of the year.
Alternatively, you can also appoint a Texas business entity as your registered agent.
Registered agent information needs to be updated every year when you submit your annual report.
Also, keep in mind that failing to maintain a registered agent for your business might put your LLC at risk of losing its good standing with the state.
Want to learn more about establishing and operating LLC in Texas? Check out these resources:
Why use a professional Texas registered agent service
Registered agents have to accept correspondence from the Texas Secretary of State as well as service of process notices such as lawsuits, subpoenas, etc. All of these are sensitive documents you don’t want to be mishandled.
A professional registered agent service ensures that you always receive timely communication. Plus comes with some extra benefits.
You can be sure that you won’t miss anything important — your registered agent will notify you about the correspondence they receive on your behalf. Keep in mind that staying on top of all the mail you get can be challenging when you already have too much on your plate, so paying someone else to handle it for you might be worthwhile.
You protect your privacy by not making your business address public — you use the registered agent service provider’s office address instead. Personal privacy is something worth considering if you’re using your home address as your business address, especially if other people, such as your spouse and children, live there as well.
You’re not obliged to be available at your registered office during regular business hours every working day of the year — your registered agent service provider is. It’s an absolute must if you want to be location independent, run your business remotely, and use that freedom to travel the world.
As you can see, depending on what your priorities are, it might make more sense to pay for a registered agent service instead of being your own registered agent. Fees range between $39/year and $250/year.
Of course, you also have the option to appoint another private person as your registered agent (e.g., an employee). However, that can be risky if they don’t take their duties seriously. Especially the obligation to be available year-round during regular business hours.
Texas registered agent services list
So if you’d rather have a professional at your side, here’s our list of 16 reputable registered agent service providers based in Texas.
IncorporateMax offers Texas incorporation and Texas registered agent services. The company serves all types of businesses, including LLCs, corporations, and nonprofits. They are reliable and have been around for several years.
- Costs: $49/year
- Address: 25700 I-45 North #4119, The Woodlands, Texas 77386
2. Independent Texas Registered Agent LLC
Independent Texas Registered Agent LLC is owned and run by a Texas native Lacey Williams.
The company has been in business for 13 years, owns the building it operates from, and serves hundreds of local business owners.
It stands out from other registered agent service providers because it offers a month-by-month billing instead of an annual contract.
- Costs: $7.99/month
- Address: 5900 Balcones Drive Suite 100. Austin, TX 78731
3. Simon Paschal PLLC
Simon Paschal PLLC is a boutique law firm specializing in business and employment law.
One of the services it provides is Texas registered agent service. Having a lawyer as your registered agent is a major perk as they’ll know precisely how to handle the incoming legal paperwork.
- Costs: $99/year
- Address: 5300 Town and Country Blvd., Suite 155, Frisco, TX 75034
4. Law Office of Carey Thompson
The Law Office of Carey Thompson is a firm practicing in a range of areas, including social security disability, estate planning, civil litigation, corporate law and more.
One of the services it offers is Texas registered agent service. Apart from handling documents and notifications, they also help you prepare the annual report and obtain additional documents from the state.
- Costs: $99/year
- Address: 728 S. Saginaw Blvd., Fort Worth, TX 76179
5. Lawyer’s Aid Service
Lawyer’s Aid Service provides assistance to Texas attorneys, including LLC formation, incorporation, and registered agent services. But they are accepting private clients too.
Operating since 1980, the company developed a pretty strong community reputation.
- Costs: $120/year
- Address: 505 W. 15th Street, Austin, TX 78701
6. Texas Registered Agent LLC
Texas Registered Agent LLC provides business address, incorporation, and registered agent services.
It’s the most affordable Texas registered agent service provider on this list. But it’s one of the least reviewed ones too.
- Costs: $39/year
- Address: 5900 Balcones Drive Suite 100, Austin, TX, 78731
7. Capitol Services Inc.
Capitol Services Inc. provides incorporation, registered agent, and lien services.
It was founded in 1978 and has been in business for more than 40 years, which makes it one of the most established registered agent service providers on this list.
They also have registered agent services in other states. That’s convenient if you ever decide to register as a foreign LLC elsewhere.
- Address: 4212 50th Street Lubbock, Texas 79413
8. Delaney Corporate Services
Delaney Corporate Services provides compliance and registered agent services.
It has offices in Albany, NY, and Austin, TX, so it might be an appealing option for those who want to operate their businesses in both states.
- Address: 823 Congress Avenue, Suite P-4, Austin, Texas 78701
9. Your Texas Office
Your Texas Office provides registered agent services to limited liability companies, corporations, limited partnerships, and other business entities doing business in the state of Texas. They are a small but reputable business operating out of Houston.
- Address: 6700 Sands Point Drive, Houston, Texas 77074
10. US Corporate Services, LLC
US Corporate Services, LLC provides various corporate services to domestic and international clients. One of the services it offers is a Texas registered agent service. It’s the most expensive option on this list, though.
On the pro side, however, is that they provide legal services in both English and Spanish. Plus, help you handle a wide range of tasks — from operating agreement creation to handling franchise tax notices.
- Costs: $250/year
- Address: 6363 Woodway, Suite 1000, Houston, Texas 77057
11. My Tax Filer
My Tax Filer provides various incorporation, tax, and bookkeeping services to businesses and individuals. Registered agent services are one of them.
That’s a convenient option for people who want professional help with their books and stay compliant with the state.
- Address: 405 State HWY 121 Suite A250 Lewisville, Texas 75067
12. Start-Up Agent LLC
Start-Up Agent LLC also provides registered agent service to Texas limited liability companies and corporations. As the name implies, they are primarily catering to the startups, who are new to all the admin paperwork.
- Costs: $79/year
- Address: 105 E. Fate Main Place, Fate, Texas 75087
13. Biz Credit Movement (former Moore Financial Services)
Biz Credit Movement primarily specializes in business lending and finance. They help small businesses secure the funding they need to grow while keeping cash flow in check. But they also offer Texan registered agent services. Prices differ for one-off clients and service members.
- Costs: $200/year
- Address: 2101 Cedar Springs Rd Ste 1050 Dallas, TX 75201
Easy LLC primarily provides LLC formation services. It offers three different limited liability company formation packages with different services included.
But neither of them includes a registered agent service. But you can add it for an additional $120/year.
- Costs: $120/year
- Address: 901 Main St, Ste 3300, Dallas, Texas 75202
15. Lone Star Registered Agent, LLC
Lone Star Registered Agent provides incorporation services for business entities. And they also offer a Texas registered agent service. For $50 a year, you also get free phone service for 60 days, immediate document scans, and free mail forwarding.
- Price: $50/year
- Address: 5900 Balcones Drive Suite 100, Austin, TX 78731
RASi, short for Registered Agent Solutions Inc., provides various corporate, compliance and government, and UCC/Lien services.
It offers registered agent services in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Including a local branch in Austin, TX.
- Address: 1701 Directors Blvd, Ste 300, Austin, TX
National registered agent service providers
Apart from choosing a local business, you can also use one of these popular national registered agent service providers. Most charge higher rates. But for that money, you get access to a range of services online.
- Harbour Compliance. Annual costs: $99.
- LegalZoom: Annual costs: $299.
- IncFile: Annual costs: $119 after the first year.
- Northwest registered agent: Annual costs: $125 per year.
How do I appoint a registered agent in Texas?
Registered agents are appointed by the company in the formation documents (Certificate of Formation – Legal Liability Company) that you need to file with the Texas Secretary of State to form your LLC.
To make an appointment, you’ll need to have the registered agent’s full name, office address, and written consent to the appointment.
How do I change my registered agent in Texas?
Changing your registered agent is easy:
- Choose a new registered agent — person or provider.
- Fill out the Statement of Change of Registered Agent/Office form.
- File the completed Change of Registered Agent/Office form with the Texas Secretary of State.
You’ll need to pay a $15 state fee to change your registered agent or registered office address.
FAQs about Texas registered agents
Here are the frequently asked questions about registered agent services in Texas.